After a few relaxing days in Santa Cruz the road decided to throw some big hills at us as we were entering Big Sur. It isn’t named after the big hills (surprisingly) the name originates from El pais grande del Sur, the big land to the South – a very rugged part of the California Coast that was not settled until rather recent. We did get warned that after Carmel
But not before we found out that our tent floats... The forecast looked pretty grim that day but there was a campground with a hot tub a mere 20 miles down the road so it didn’t really matter if we got wet. We pulled into camp in the early afternoon, set up camp and spent the next three hours soaking in this glorious hot tub as the skies opened and absolutely unloaded. I can’t remember if we talked about going to check on the tent, it was obvious neither of us were willing to leave the hot tub.
Redwood trees are the tallest trees on Earth, most of the big ones are around 1.500 to 2.000 years old. So they are really, really tall and so, so old. Very magnificent beings. Walking around in those ancient forests puts things into perspective. Sadly, 97% of the Redwood forests have been logged. The remaining 3% are preserved in a few state parks in Northern California, the only place they actually grow...